LeCataracta es le nubifere de lente in oculo que duce ad decrescentia in vision. Le Cataracta frequentemente disvelopa
A cataract is a clouding of the lens in the eye which leads to a decrease in vision. Cataracts often develop slowly and can affect one or both eyes. Symptoms may include faded colors, blurry vision, halos around light, trouble with bright lights, and trouble seeing at night. This may result in trouble driving, reading, or recognizing faces. Poor vision caused by cataracts may also result in an increased risk of falling and depression. Cataracts cause half of all cases of blindness and 33% of visual impairment worldwide.
Cataracts are most commonly due to aging but may also occur due to trauma or radiation exposure, be present from birth, or occur following eye surgery for other problems. Risk factors include diabetes, smoking tobacco, prolonged exposure to sunlight, and alcohol. The underlying mechanism involves accumulation of clumps of protein or yellow-brown pigment in the lens that reduces transmission of light to the retina at the back of the eye. Diagnosis is by an eye examination.
Prevention includes wearing sunglasses and not smoking. Early on the symptoms may be improved with glasses. If this does not help, surgery to remove the cloudy lens and replace it with an artificial lens is the only effective treatment. Surgery is needed only if the cataracts are causing problems and generally results in an improved quality of life. Cataract surgery is not readily available in many countries, which is especially true for women, those living in rural areas, and those who do not know how to read.
Referentias[modificar | modificar fonte]
- Facts About Cataract (September 2009). Archivo del original create le 24 May 2015. Recuperate le 24 May 2015.
- "Cataract and surgery for cataract" (2006). BMJ 333 (7559): 128–32. doi:10.1136/bmj.333.7559.128. PMID 16840470.
- "Consequences of waiting for cataract surgery." (January 2011). Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 22 (1): 28–30. doi:10.1097/icu.0b013e328341425d. PMID 21076306.
- Visual impairment and blindness Fact Sheet N°282 (August 2014). Archivo del original create le 12 May 2015. Recuperate le 23 May 2015.
- (2012) GLOBAL DATA ON VISUAL IMPAIRMENTS 2010. WHO, 6.
- Priority eye diseases. Archivo del original create le 24 May 2015. Recuperate le 24 May 2015.
- "The impact of cataract surgery on quality of life." (January 2011). Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 22 (1): 19–27. doi:10.1097/icu.0b013e3283414284. PMID 21088580.
- Error de citation: Etiquetta
<ref>invalide; nulle texto esseva fornite pro le refs nominate